Saturday, April 6, 2013

#3 Open-Eyed Wonder


 A new day dawning. Renewed life and strength bursting forth with purpose. The gift of each new breath to sustain for a time. Sights seen day after day, seen fresh and new with open eyes. The sound of gulls exuberant and filled with life, along with the far off toll of a buoy twirling in the wind and current. A mind racing to count and capture daily blessings so uncommonly common; so unique in their constancy day after day.

This is my new day! My gift of life from God! I meet this gift with open eyes and I am left amazed. Open-eyed wonder washes over me as the sun bathes me with its golden beams, as the wind's gusts send chills down my spine, and as the fresh scent of a new day fills my lungs. Sights and sounds met with open eyes and ears. And in openness thanksgiving is born! Thanksgiving explodes! Thanksgiving opens the eyes wider to see more wonder---to see the beauty of God.



In grace these two meet---open-eyed wonder and thanksgiving---as God gives and also enables us to receive. This grace opens our eyes to a new world of blessing and our response in turn should flow from grace into thanksgiving! This thanksgiving in turn opens our eyes even wider and paves the way for a life filled with true joy in our life Giver.

The humdrum days depend on this thanksgiving, or else complacency sets in and the wonder fades. Complaining will replace it unless we guard this gift that God has given---this gift of thanksgiving that enables us to enjoy all of His other gifts.



But what opens the eyes to see God's blessings? What causes our lips to flow with thanksgiving? How do we  soar above this world's perspective of life---especially everyday life that seems so boring and routine? When I am at work, I struggle with this because it is so easy to be squeezed into the world's mold and look at life from its perspective. As those around me complain, gossip, argue, and set their hearts on earthly things, I notice my own heart joining in and then I also notice my eyes begin to close to the blessings of the Lord.

Oh, but praise God that He has not left us helpless! No, we have the key to the open-eyed wonder that frees our lips to rejoice in such beautiful thanksgiving to the Lord, which also opens our eyes wider to see God's hand at work all around us and in us. The secret is not so much a secret for it is the Word of God. I absolutely love thinking on God's Word! I find that memory work is the best way for me to be able to fix my eyes on God's Word. God's Word enters my heart and renews. It works life in me and I am able to see life. As God's Word enters me, I cannot help but see His beauty everywhere. These boring every day days explode with a new vitality because I see Jesus.



Oh the joy of open-eyed wonder days! God's blessings are all around. The power of the wind taring at our flags outside the station, attests to God's power for He is the one who orders the wind. The white caps curling and crashing out in the bay are just a little picture of God's might in Creation.

This is my challenge and joy today---to live with open-eyed wonder---to witness God's wonder and join in with the wonder by THANKSGIVING!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this refreshing encouragement, dear Sarah Grace.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog